Monday 4 July 2011

I.Culture






I, CULTURE is an international art project created in collaboration with fashion designer and artist Monika Jakubiak, aimed at engaging audience participation. 240 volunteers in 12 capital cities across Europe and Asia will apply fashion design and craft techniques to examine the role of craft in contemporary culture through workshops and organised public events.

What is craft? What isn't?
Who creates culture? Am I involved in creating culture?
What is important to me in the experience of creating?

I was looking into my own personal interest and feelings towards craft. In terms of textiles, craft doesn't associate with garments immediately, I usually think of the felt or crochet dolls that I make. Especially the denim teddy that I made a few years ago, from a pair of old denim shorts that I used to wear as a child and it didn't fit me anymore (see previous post). That kind of sentimental value seem to have only existed when I was a child, as now, I won't hesitate to throw away clothes due to emotional reasons, but only that I don't want to waste any materials thinking that they will be of use sooner or later.

I thought about dolls in general. It's been around since the earliest civilization, serving as a plaything for children or used in magic and religious rituals; and recently becoming even more popular as collectibles. It's such an integrated part of a child's upbringing, part of our culture. Even if you can't afford one, parents would make one for their children with old clothes and rags.

So why did we stopped doing that and relied on industrialized products made of plastic?

Dolls are definitely not expensive to make, everyone will have scrap fabric at home from unwanted clothes. All you need is some toy stuffing, some thread, and a few hours of self-satisfying manual labour and you can have your own personal doll. It's all about you-get-what-you-give, if you can deal with having the same doll as all those other people out there then keep at it, or spend a few worthwhile hours making your own lovely doll!

No comments:

Post a Comment